add_header works in server but not in http?

holstebm nginx-forum at
Sun May 15 07:46:41 MSD 2011

Hello,  I decided I'd clean up my configuration files for Nginx.  It's
long overdue.

I have the following in my nginx.conf but is never sent.  I don't have
another reference to this header anywhere.

add_header                                X-UA-Compatible

Moreover, if I move the line into a Server block, it works fine.

Docs say can be used in Http, Server and Location.  I'm at a loss.