Proxy module - upstream server recovery from inoperative mode

felka nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed May 18 09:13:39 MSD 2011

Hi All,

We are trying to use NGINX as a load balancing solution for our
production servers. Our infrastructure contains few application server
using SOAP XML over HTTP. NGNIX suppose to balance between servers.
Please see config:

user              nginx;
worker_processes  10;
error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  2048;
}

http {
        upstream CS {
                server 70.70.0.31:80 max_fails=1 fail_timeout=1s;
                server 70.70.0.41:80 max_fails=1 fail_timeout=1s;
        }
        server {
                listen 54321;
                location / {
                proxy_pass http://CS;
                proxy_read_timeout 2s;
        #       proxy_connect_timeout 200ms;

NGINX does the work great until some of backend server fails to answer
to NGINX in time and it send request to other server. Until this point
everything is great and working. Now failed server should recover from
inoperative mode to operetive mode after 1 second as I've defined
fail_timeout to 1 second (Here might be my mistake because it may be
recovers but right after it fails again) and it doesn't. I'm getting to
the point where NGINX says that there is no operative upstream servers
available because in some point load to the servers is so high that both
of servers unable to answer in time.
We are working on solving our servivce issue. However I think it is
cruicial for load balancer be able moving failed upstream server to
operative mode. May be I'm doing something wrong. Which log level will
show the recovery?

I will appreciate for any help!

Regards,
Seva Feldman