max_fails for 404s?

Antoine Bonavita antoine.bonavita at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:53:39 MSD 2011

Hello,

>From my understanding you don't even want to set max_fails. From the
wiki (http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpUpstreamModule#server):
"max_fails = NUMBER - number of unsuccessful attempts at communicating
with the server within the time period (assigned by parameter
fail_timeout) after which it is considered inoperative"

While you hot-deploy server1 it will return 404. Because of
"proxy_next_upstream http_404", nginx will try server2 (which is
assumed to work). So, client sees response from server2.

When you're done with hot-deploying on server1, it should start
returning non-404 and you can safely hot-deploy server2.

Of course, as you are asking, this might be the configuration you
already have and it might not have this (expected) behavior. If you
have proxy_next_upstream http_404 in your configuration and it's not
working this way, you'll have to provide logs corresponding to the
hot-deployment if you want people here to give you a hand.

A.

--
Take a break. Visit nginx-land: http://www.nginx-discovery.com