Question about using the load balancer

Kyle R. Burton kyle.burton at
Thu May 19 23:34:55 MSD 2011

I am using nginx as a load balancer in front of a tier of 4 web
servers in a configuration very similar to:

I am doing rolling deployments of my application on the 4 web servers.
 During a deploy, I take 2 of my 4 boxes out of the load balancer by
switching to an alternative nginx configuration and running 'nginx
reload'.  This has so far worked well.

One thing I noticed is that when I do this, nginx seems to snap
(break) any connections that were open at the time of the reload.  Is
there a configuration setting that I could use to allow these
connections to complete gracefuly, but otherwise have all new
connections be handled according to the updated configuration?

Best Regards,

Kyle Burton

Twitter: @kyleburton