Randomly stopping large file downloads?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat May 21 12:51:17 MSD 2011

Hello!

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:43:53PM -0400, nickn wrote:

> Hi Maxim, thanks for your help.
> I'm not using a proxy, it's just a straight connection to nginx.
>
> I ran it again with error log on info and found that it thinks the
> client is timing out, although watching firefox it seemed to be
> downloading ok the entire time and I wasn't having connectivity issues
> on other sites.
>
> I tried keepalive_timeout  65; rather than 5 but had the same problem.
>
> Here's the info below, any ideas what it could be?

Timeout to tune is send_timeout, not keepalive one.  Anyway,
please provide debug log and tcpdump of the connection in
question.

[...]

> root at 217948:/var/log/nginx# nginx -V
> nginx version: nginx/0.7.65

Note that 0.7.65 is rather old.  You may want to upgrade to 1.0.2.

[...]

>     sendfile        on;

When using sendfile with big files it's good idea to use something
like

      sendfile_max_chunk 1m;

as well.

[...]

>     include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
>     include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

If there are any files here except the one you already showed -
you may want to show them as well (or at least parts which may
affect server{} in question).