simple rewrite rules

Adam Benayoun adam at lionite.com
Sun May 22 04:41:59 MSD 2011

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to setup some basic rewrite rules in nginx (I'm sorry if I may be
asking obvious question but I moved my servers from apache to nginx and I
can't figure out how to write simple rewrite rules in nginx).

This is what I am trying to achieve:

I have a URL with the following arguments:

http://www.domain.com/browse/category

What I want to achieve is:
- When someone try to reach http://www.domain.com/category - it will serve
the url http://www.domain.com/browse/category internally (no 301 redirect).
- When someone will try to reach http://www.domain.com/browse/category it
will redirect externally (301) to http://www.domain.com/category

I've added 2 rewriterule at first but somehow only the first rule works, the
second won't work:

        rewrite ^/browse/(.*) http://www.domain.com/$1 permanent;
        rewrite ^/(category1|category2|category3|category4)$    /browse/$1
last;

Thanks (and sorry for asking a somewhat newbie question!)

p.s: yes, I've read this http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpRewriteModule