same config for two virtual hosts (except hostname / certificate)

António P. P. Almeida appa at perusio.net
Wed Nov 23 22:51:10 UTC 2011

On 23 Nov 2011 22h23 WET, gelonida at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still a little shaky with how to best structure my nginx
> configurations and where one can / should use includes and where one
> couldn't.
>
> somehow I like the idea of a directory structure like
>
> /etc/nginx/  # for basic files / certificates / . . .
> /etc/nginx/sites-available # the available configs
> /etc/nginx/sites-enabled  # the sites, that shall really be started
>

> Now I have two sites (ssl which should share exactly the same config
> (except the host name and the server certificate)
> the first one would be for example server_1.mysite.net
> the other server_2.mysite.net:4433
>

> Of course both would need their own certificate and host name.
>
> What would be the recommended way for such a setup?

My suggestion is for you to place the common things in both vhosts in
a file, e.g., my_common_config.conf and do an include in each vhost:

server_1.mysite.net.conf
server_2.mysite.net.conf

You can try this script for enabling each site and disabling using the
sites_enabled/sites-available layout.

https://github.com/perusio/nginx_ensite

--- appa