same config for two virtual hosts (except hostname / certificate)

António P. P. Almeida appa at
Wed Nov 23 23:43:01 UTC 2011

On 23 Nov 2011 23h35 WET, gelonida at wrote:

>>> Where would you place my_common_config.conf?
>>> would you clutter /etc/nginx with it or create a subdir like
>>> /etf/nginx/sites-baseconfig
>>> would you then just do an include with a relative path like
>>> include ../my_common_config.conf ?
>> I prefer to have it under the sites-available directory. Because is
>> something specific to one or more of the enabled sites.
>> There's in Debian a /etc/nginx/conf.d dir but I never use it. I put
>> all generic stuff in /etc/nginx and site specific stuff under
>> /etc/nginx/sites-available.
>> I always name the vhost config files with names that identify it
>> explicitly, .e.g, This way there's no risk in
>> confusing vhost config with other files that have directives that
>> can be used in several vhosts.
> Yes combined with your naming style this should be clear enough.
> I assume you will just symlink the vhosts file to sites available.
> and the include will thus be something like
> include ../sites-available/common_settings.conf, right?

Nope. I do nginx_ensite

This creates a symlink:

ls -la /etc/sites-enabled -->

Of course you must have a line like:

include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

in your nginx.conf

The common_settings.conf is included in the file:

include sites-available/common_settings.conf;

It only makes sense to symlink vhost configs.

--- appa