Does "set_real_ip_from" support IPv4 only?

Usu nginx-forum at
Thu Oct 6 15:52:46 UTC 2011

I'm confused, I get this error by entering an IPv6 address in the
set_real_ip_from directive:

nginx: [emerg] "set_real_ip_from" supports IPv4 only in

But according to the changelog, that directive should support IPv6 since
nginx 0.8.22:

Changes with nginx 0.8.22                                        03 Nov
    *) Feature: the "set_real_ip_from" directive supports IPv6 addresses
       request headers.

My nginx version: 1.0.8

Is the changelog referring to something else or is this a bug?

Thank you,