SSL location keep redirecting to non-SSL

Ian Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Sat Sep 3 00:51:11 UTC 2011

Ok...my brain's been hurting on this one tonight.

My site's been running fine on nginx for years. have SSL and non-SSL
locations. PHP runs through .shtml files

Working on a Facebook app and right now need to have it work with both
the SSL and non-SSL URL. Testing the coding on my server right now.

If I go to http://www.example.com/myappsname the page loads.
If I go to https://www.example.com/myappsname/index.shtml the page
loads. <-note https
If I go to https://www.example.com/myappsname/ the page redirects to
http://www.example.com/myappsname. <-note https on first URL

Here are the relevant locations in the SSL server section:

location / {
root /usr/local/apache/htdocs;
rewrite ^(.+) http://www.digitalhit.com$1 permanent;
index index.shtml index.php;
}

location ~ \.(shtml|php|inc)$ {
root /usr/local/apache/htdocs;
include /usr/local/nginx/conf/fastcgi-php.conf;
fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:10004;
}

location ^~ /myappsname/ {
index index.shtml
root /usr/local/apache/htdocs/;
fastcgi_intercept_errors on;
include /usr/local/nginx/conf/fastcgi-php.conf;
fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:10004;
fastcgi_param HTTPS on;
}

I'll probably smack my head when this is pointed out to me. All my other
SSL locations work fine. Any idea why including the filename stays SSL
but dropping it redirects?

Thanks.