Optimizing worker_processes, worker_connections & PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN - Any Good Tutorial?

Jan Bujk lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Sep 9 12:34:41 UTC 2011

Hi,
what would you guys recommend to set for a website loaded heavily with
PHP and some Ajax features and around 2000 users online at the same time
?
Currently I have settings like:

PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=10
PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS=1000

    worker_connections  20392;
     multi_accept off;
     use epoll;
    client_body_timeout 200;
    client_header_timeout 100;.
    client_max_body_size 40M;
    client_body_buffer_size 1280k;
    send_timeout 100;
    limit_zone limit_per_ip $binary_remote_addr 180m;
    limit_conn limit_per_ip 150;
    limit_rate 2200k;
    keepalive_timeout 15;

Using nginx/0.7.67 and php 5.2.17.

I cannot migrate to php 5.3.3, so I cannot use native php-fpm.
Should I try to tweak fast-cgi better or try to get PHP-FPM working ?
Would nginx upgrade help with performance ?
Website works but with many users it gets veryyyyyyyyy slow with
Thanks guys !