"port_in_redirect off" not working.

carrierdetect nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sat Sep 10 11:40:31 UTC 2011

I'm running nginx/1.0.5 behing Varnish and serving up static html.
Whenever I visit a URL which is a directory but without a trailing
slash, e.g. /blah, it redirects to the non-80 port which nginx is
running on, e.g. server:5000/blah/. The config is as follows:

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;
    sendfile        on;

    server {
        listen       5000;
        server_name  server.com;
        root /path/html;

        location / {
            index  index.html index.htm;
            port_in_redirect off;

I've tried moving "port_in_redirect off" to http and server contexts,
and setting "server_name_in_redirect off", to no avail. The Varnish
configuration is as simple as can be and just looks for the request
hostname and forwards to the nginx backend.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,215059,215059#msg-215059