php-fastcgi always exits.. resulting in 502 bad gateway

António P. P. Almeida appa at
Thu Sep 22 12:32:17 UTC 2011

On 22 Set 2011 11h44 WEST, nginx-forum at wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I'm using nginx since some days and I got a little trouble. It seems
> that after some while of working fine nginx exits the fastcgi-daemon
> and whenever I try to call a php site then, it shows me 502 Bad
> Gateway.
> Then I have to "/usr/bin/php-fastcgi start" and everything runs fine
> again.

> So basically my question: How do I make the php-fastcgi not exit
> itself or how do I make it automatically restart on exit? It's
> annoying that my website everytime turns to "502 Bad Gateway" to
> everyone and I don't even know about that!
> Can anyone help me please? :(

Use one of the many init scripts available throughout the
interwebs. Also I suggest monit for monitoring the process.

I now use php-fpm, but before I used the "regular" php-cgi with this
init script: and
a monit configuration for monitoring it:

--- appa