How to tune nginx for 800-1200 concurrent connections?

tsaavik nginx-forum at
Sun Sep 25 16:45:20 UTC 2011

Lots of directions to go with this question, here are 2.

1. The IO bound questions:
   Your client_max_body_size has me wondering how big these images
actually are. Whats the average size of these images?

   A few lines of output from "dstat" or "vmstat 1" during peak output
would be useful (or even "sar" if you run it).

   If you are IO bound like I suspect, a reverse proxy via nginx's
proxy_cache might be beneficial. You could just toss some 'hot' files
into a ramdrive   (/dev/shm) and symlink them (ln -s) to test.

2. Your PHP app is inefficent:
I run a php gallery (gallery2). Its pretty damn slow/cpu hungry. In
order to speed things up make sure your php has something like running. It increased my performance more then
moving from apace1 (yes 1) to nginx.