Best way to burst static file cache

tcbarrett nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Sep 26 10:11:44 UTC 2011

Hi

Loving nginx, thanks Igor!

I'm caching static files in a very traditional way, I hope:
location ~* \.(js|css|png|jpg|jpeg|gif|ico)$ {
    #expires       max;
    expires       30m;
    access_log    off;
    log_not_found on;
  }

I would like to have longer caching. Sometimes there is a fast turn
around on live sites and clients have an issue bursting the cache. These
tend to be Windows based clients. No matter what they or I do, they
continue to retrieve cached versions of css and pngs.

Is there a better configuration, or anything that I am not doing at my
end to ensure they get served the fresh files?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,215835,215835#msg-215835