Socket leaks., pread and [crit] SSL_Write() in 1.0.14

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 3 16:32:13 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:08:47PM -0400, Floren Munteanu wrote:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On 4/2/2012 1:06 PM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> >It's safe and only adds minimal overhead on logging level checks
> >as long as debug log isn't enabled.
> >
> >Note though that writing debug logs consume extra resources, and
> >it may be noticeable under high load.  The debug_connection
> >directive allows to enable debug logging only for selected ip
> >addresses to minimize impact.
>
> I've built a nginx-debug RPM but I'm tempted to try 1.1.18 now. :)
> I will use instead 1.0.14, just in case is a nasty bug hidden
> somewhere in Nginx. In this way, we fix both versions. These are the

I'm afraid we aren't going to fix 1.0.x anyway.  The 1.1.x branch
will become stable in serveral weeks, and 1.0.x is expected to get
only security fixes.

> compile cflags I used:
> gcc -c -pipe  -O -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-unused-parameter
> -Wunused-function -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Werror -g -O3 -g
> -m64 -mtune=nocona -m128bit-long-double -mmmx -msse3 -mfpmath=sse
>
> I'm going to leave the error_log set on error and give it a 256k
> buffer so it should not affect the performance. Since we only deal

The error log doesn't support buffering.

> [crit], I don't think we need to debug anything lower than error.

I need complete request debug log to understand what's going on
during request processing (and what's going wrong).

> I'll add the following settings into http:
> debug_points       abort;
> worker_rlimit_core 512M;
> working_directory  /var/lib/nginx/;
>
> Let me know please if I should do anything extra.

For now, please capture debug log.  Anything else (including gdb
dump of the request in question) isn't that important, but if you
are going to obtain one it might be good idea to recompile nginx
without -O3 as it might produce undesired side-effects in gdb
output.  The -O used by default is good enough.