could not build the referers_hash

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 10 14:44:28 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:53:08AM +1200, Ryan Brown wrote:

> > There is configuration directive to adjust this,
> > referer_hash_bucket_size.  You don't need to edit the code.
> >
> > Maxim Dounin
>
> I got caught by this bug too,
>
> Seems a bit strange why the defaults (if not set) complains that its
> not enough.. I can see why people edit the code directly.
>
> If 64 isn't clearly enough when referer_hash_bucket_size isn't set,
> why not just up the default to 128 to avoid this unnecessary complaint
> by nginx.

The default is enough in most cases.  There are some specific
situations (long values in hash, multiple colliding values) which
trigger the message, and the message itself explains what to do
(and we have the page at http://nginx.org/en/docs/hash.html which
explains details).

We might want to better (read: automatically) handle some
situation like non-colliding long values, where the only sensible
solution is to increase ..._hash_bucket_size, but this has nothing
to do with defaults change.  With any default one will be able to
write a configuration which triggers the "could not build hash"
message.