SSL negotiation failures causing 408 error to be returned

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Apr 16 15:25:03 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:43:03AM -0400, bpiraeus wrote:

> The problem with that diagnosis, is that in this case, it's actually
> causing failures on the client side. The client in question has a flash
> game which pulls some amount of data over https, when these sessions
> time out and hand out a 408, it causes the game itself to barf up a
> lung. Additionally after pulling 12 hours of logs and doing UA matching,
> while Chrome on Win7 base seems to be the major player, we find these as
> well:

Similar errors might as well be a result of e.g. network connectivity
problems.  It's hard to say anything without detailed inspection
of a failure on the client side.

[...]

> The interesting bit is that the significant amount of these (when we
> strip out Chrome) are MSIE on a Win7 base, which makes me inclined to
> suspect something funny with Win 7, but there's at least 2 instances of
> OS X in there, and 2 instances (FF 10.0.02 and FF 11) on NT 5.1 (XP
> base)

There is at least several Vista user-agents in your list (Windows
NT 6.0), and I would rather suggest to compare the distribution to
your site's OS/UA stats before concluding anything.  And you need
to trace real client failures, not 408 errors in general.