Default_server catch all block not working

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Apr 19 12:36:41 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:43:46AM -0400, lockev3.0 wrote:

> Well, probably I'm, still novice at Nginx but, that default server block
> is meant to fit when no other block server (server_name)  fits. So my
> current problem is that 444 behaviour is arising all thru my nginx
> server, not just that default_server block/vhost
> .....not quit sure If I explained my self better now ? or even
> understood you right ....

I belive Jonathan Matthews is right and the problem is as follows:
your load balancer sees invalid response from your nginx server
(as "return 444" just drops the connection) and starts to think
it's not working (and starts to return errors to clients without
even asking nginx).

There are two possible solutions:

1) Don't use "return 444" but return some correct response.  In
any case "return 444" doesn't help at all as long as your nginx is
behind load balancer (as your balancer will return response
anyway).

2) Tune your balancer to ignore such connection closes (not sure
this is possible).