Syslog

Luke tmp at codepedia.eu
Thu Apr 26 14:33:33 UTC 2012

On 26/04/2012 16:03, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> Hello!
> The main problem with syslog in general is that it's interface
> blocks, and if syslogd daemon is dead/can't cope with load nginx
> won't be able to work.  Additionally, it's slow/resource
> consuming.  Writing normal files is much faster and more reliable.
>
> Given the above, it's highly unlikely that syslog patches of any
> quality will be accepted.
>
> Maxim Dounin
Thank you for your reply, but as I said, I already have reimplemented syslog(3),
and with the aid of a udp or fifo with a thread things can be made completely
asynchronous.
Or I could use an aio_write() instead of a write() to write to the local syslog
socket, although a fifo is more secure for syslog crashes/hangups (which I've
never seen, anyway).

Anyway, let's assume for a second that I can get file-like performance.
The questions that remains are 2:
1- What format do you like more? I'm inclined towards something like
"syslog_access ident:facility:priority:host:port:connectiontype"
2- How should I benchmark it all?

Luke