nginx: [crit] pread() "/opt/nginx" failed (21: Is a directory)

Gray, Steve, Wipro steve.gray.wipro at
Sat Apr 28 01:59:15 UTC 2012

I am using nginx 1.0.15 running on Solaris 10.  When I issue my "/opt/nginx/sbin/nginx -s stop" command, I get this error "nginx: [crit] pread() "/opt/nginx" failed (21: Is a directory)". The funny thing is that I can issue "/opt/nginx/sbin/nginx" to start nginx and get no errors.  Nginx starts okay.  I can also issue "/opt/nginx/sbin/nginx -V or v" and get no errors.  The "nginx: [crit] pread() "/opt/nginx" failed (21: Is a directory)" error happens when I issue the command with the "-s stop|reload|quit|reopen" options.
My configure argument is --prefix=/opt/nginx. Has anyone seen this or know why this is happening?  Let me know if you need any more information from me.