Bad side effect of (even unmatched) nested regex locations in regex locations with anonymous captures with try_files/alias

Christoph Schug chris+nginx at
Thu Aug 2 15:59:40 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-02 12:42, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> And this is why it's not recommended to use enumerated captures
> except for very simple configurations (or "rewrite" directive,
> where use of enumerated captures immediatly follows regexp
> matching).  Use named captures instead and you'll be fine.

Thanks Maxim,

using named captures it exactly what I did. The question to me was more
or less if the other configuration was intended to break. If that's the
case, that this is mainly a documentation issue which should be added to
either [1] or [2] (best with cross reference to each other).

The topic "named captures" is as far as I can see is only mentioned in
[3]. It might be good to demonstrate its use in a wider context. While
doing so, also a comment on the syntax might be great, as PCRE not
always supported the Perl-style notation of "(?<name>)" [4].