upstream server and ip hash

Ruslan Ermilov ru at nginx.com
Mon Aug 6 08:38:35 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:10:39PM -0700, kvhdude wrote:
> Folks,
>   Can anyone help me out?
>   To clarify: I am just looking for confirmation as i add an upstream
> server, will hash change for existing users (these are using XMPP sessions
> so they will suffer disruption of service).

Yes, it will.  The hashing implemented by ip_hash is not consistent.

There's limited support for preserving hash values when a server in
an upstream goes down, in the form of the "down" parameter, please
see http://nginx.org/r/ip_hash for details.

Adding consistent hashing is planned in future versions of nginx.