Nginx + SSL + Thin

sergiocampama nginx-forum at
Thu Aug 9 01:37:45 UTC 2012

I am trying to configure my web app to receive SSL support. I have nginx
with 2 server{} clauses, one for http and another (almost identical) for
https. I have a thin upstream server at port 3000, which only gets
redirected if a certain /subfolder is accessed.

I have the certificates in working order, I can access static content
perfectly. I also have a proxy_pass directive for http://rails_upstream.
I tried setting the https server to proxy_pass to https://rails_upstream
but it gave a 500 error.

Is there anything else I need to configure so that the same thin server
receives the https requests? Or do I need to configure another thin
server specifically for https purposes?

Best regards,