Redirect 404 errors to a separate log file

kustodian nginx-forum at
Fri Aug 24 08:31:17 UTC 2012

I have been trying for a whole day to figure out how to redirect 404 errors
to a separate log file. I managed to do this in the server directive:

error_page  404 = @404;
location @404 {
        error_log  /var/log/nginx/404.log;

This does write all 404 errors to 404.log, but the problem is that it also
writes these errors in the default error.log, and I don't want that. I want
404 errors to be writtent to only into the 404.log.

Do you have an idea how to do this?