Nginx rewrite rule for favicon.ico files

nexon nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Aug 31 10:28:39 UTC 2012

Nginx rewrite rules for favicon.ico for multiple subdomains.

In nginx /etc/sites-avaliable/vhost_config_file, I have the following
rewrite rules for serving multiple subdomains with their favicon.ico files:

    if ($host = example1.example.com){
       rewrite ^/favicon.ico$ /favicon_example.ico break;
     }

    if ($host = example2.example.com){
       rewrite ^/favicon.ico$ /favicon_example.ico break;
     }

    if ($host = example3.example.com){
       rewrite ^/favicon.ico$ /favicon_example.ico break;
     }

Please, how can I make this simple operation by adding **ONE GENERAL REWRITE
RULE**:

That rule must do:

1.For subdomains example1,example2... to check in location /images/$host.ico
is there a favicon_example.ico file and serve it.

2.If there is no such file, than to serve just a plain favicon.ico file.

Thank's in advance...

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,230375,230375#msg-230375