Post mortem of a HackerNews Launch & references to mistakes made with Nginx config

Joshua Zhu zhuzhaoyuan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 08:06:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Cherian Thomas <cherian.in at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello family,
>
> I wrote about some of the mistakes I made while doing a HN launch for my
> new startup Cucumbertown <http://www.cucumbertown.com/>
>
> http://www.gigpeppers.com/post-mortem-of-a-failed-hackernews-launch/
>
> It has references to Nginx and how making a simple mistake in config cost
> me a server crash that lasted for 20-30 minutes.
>
> *Hope this will benefit some of the new Nginx users who are trying to
> scale.*
>
> On the positive side, if not for Nginx we wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes
> of peak traffic at 1000 users/sec+. Besides that, this blog gigpeppers.com is
> hosted on a 128MB single core prgrmr.com machine and has been serving
> peak HackerNews front page traffic for almost 17 hours now<http://hnrankings.info/4847665/>,
> thanks to Nginx.
>
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4847665
>
> Thank you Igor, Maxim, Antonio, Velentin and all other for this software
> marvel.

Nice post!

I think you can use the sysguard module (
http://tengine.taobao.org/document/http_sysguard.html ) comes from Tengine.
It can protect your server when load or memory use goes too high. We have
taken it from Tengine as a separate Nginx module (
https://github.com/taobao/nginx-http-sysguard ). Hope it helps.

BTW, the sysguard module played a very important role in the 24-hour rush
when Taobao conducted $3.06 billion USD of business (
http://westiseast.co.uk/blog/taobao-sales-19-billion-bonanza/ ).

Regards,

--
Joshua Zhu