Proxy Pass

Gabriel Rosendorf grosendorf at
Tue Dec 11 02:48:00 UTC 2012

I'm attempting to use the proxy pass directive to send traffic to a
non-https Apache server on the same server as Nginx. The server is behind a
firewall, and I'm using a port forward to send traffic from a custom port
to the https port. We'll call that custom port 9000. My location block
looks like this:

server {
    listen       443
    server_name  _;

    ssl                  on;
    ssl_certificate      /etc/nginx/certs/;
    ssl_certificate_key  /etc/nginx/certs/;

    ssl_session_timeout  5m;

    ssl_protocols  SSLv2 SSLv3 TLSv1;
    ssl_ciphers  ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP;
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers   on;
    ssl_verify_depth 2;

    location /location {

My problem is that when the URI sent to Nginx by the browser is Nginx translates the URL to (dropping the port). But, if the URI sent
to Nginx is (with a trailing
slash), Nginx translates the URI to
I want the second result, but I don't want the user to always have to type
the trailing slash.  I've used Nginx for this purpose before, with the same
configuration, but have not run into this.