Nginx server_name command being ignored

constable1 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Dec 14 13:01:33 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm running ubuntu server 12.04 and the latest version of nginx. The
problem I am having is that nginx seems to be ignoring the server_name
command, I am able to access the server by going to the IP address of the
server or by going to the server's name (http://ubuntuserver/) but
http://test/ will give me nothing, no connection, not even an error page. I
have checked that the website file (in enabled-sites) is included in the
nginx.conf file and I have correctly restarted nginx having changed
settings. I have tried with the whole server block stripped down to just the
server_name designation and still I can't get anything at http://test/ and
in this case I get an expected error page on http://ubuntuserver/

I can only deduce that for some reason the "server_name" command is being
ignored!

If anyone could give me any advice with regards to this then it would be
much appreciated.

Code from file "www" in "enabled-sites":

server {
      add_header  Cache-Control public;
      access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log main buffer=32k;
      error_log   /var/log/nginx/error.log error;
      expires     max;
      limit_req   zone=gulag burst=200 nodelay;
      listen      127.0.0.1:80 sndbuf=128k;
      root        /usr/share/nginx/html;
      server_name test;
}