by default does nginx just use a single log file?

m irya xmirya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 21:42:50 UTC 2012

Nginx doesn't include periodic log rotation functionality, the only thing
included is reopening the log files on USR1 signal, so one may rename the
current log file and then kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/nginx.pid` for nginx to
create a new log (see http://wiki.nginx.org/LogRotation ). External tools
may be used to do the actual period rotation, like in Linuxish world it's
normally done by logrotate (
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/logrotate.8.html ) - in
recent Ubuntu versions it's already set up to rotate default nginx log
files.