NGINX not binding to localhost:80 only

Bill Culp bill.culp at
Thu Dec 20 20:41:26 UTC 2012

Ive had this issue with tomcat apache in the past and always fixed it by specifying localhost as part of the listen directive - not working with NGINX on OS X.

NGINX is responding to - but localhost it just drops the connection (its not refusing the connection, just dropping it)…

Is there a way to fix this I have tried listen *:80, listen localhost:80  and still I cant reach it through the browser using localhost.

localhost is resolvable with ping and has its entry in the hosts file.