rtsp over http response blocked by nginx

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Feb 1 00:04:24 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:24:50PM +0100, eric elg wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to use NGINX as reverse proxy for streaming using QuickTime
> and rtsp over http.
> QuicKTime send an http GET to my reverse proxy in a public zone, then my
> reverse proxy send the request to my video server in a private zone.
> What I can see is that the http GET request is received by NGINX on the
> reverse proxy, then by my video server, which responds immediately with
> a 200 OK.
> This response is received by the reverse proxy, but it seems that NGINX
> block the response. (see log file attached).

The log provided suggests that backend neither close connection
nor send anything.  I suspect it's waiting for another request
from the client before sending additional data, but didn't get it
due to buffering in nginx.  You may try adding

    proxy_buffering off;

to see if it helps.

On the other hand, the following link:

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/icefloe/dispatch028.html

suggests that rtsp over http uses POST requests with some
arbitrary large Content-Length.  It's likely to be next problem
you'll encounter.  And this is not going to work through nginx.