Is this how variable (set $var) inheritance works?

Edho Arief edho at
Fri Feb 3 18:48:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at> wrote:
> Yes, this is expected behavrious.  Rewrite module directives are
> never inherited, and directives specified inside location are only
> executed if this exact location matches.
> See here for details:

I replaced the line:

      -fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $userfile;
      +fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /home/edho/public_html/test.php;

But I still see this:

2012/02/03 13:30:16 [warn] 12889#0: *17 using uninitialized "userfile"
variable, client:, server: localhost, request: "GET
/~edho/test.php HTTP/1.1", host: ""

Why did I get warning for using uninitialized variables even though
it's not specified at all in the relevant location block?

Is there any variable I can use for my case? $request_filename
returned "/opt/nginx/" (bug?). Or do I have use separate block when
using alias (ie. nothing is inherited when using alias)?

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail -