Help with debugging - stall on response size is a symptom but what is the cause?

LetsPlay nginx-forum at
Fri Feb 10 15:31:33 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm new to nginx and am trying to use it as a front end web server
to a java-based Play framework web app, via reverse proxy.  But I'm
getting strange timeout behaviour and am not sure how to proceed with

The full details are at

I've been comparing debug-mode access logs for pass and fail cases, but
cannot fathom what nginx is doing.

How could I proceed with debugging?  I'm working on the assumption that
its my system configuration which is causing the problem - I haven't
seen any other reference to this kind of problem.  I'm running a box
with Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64, and nginx was installed from the Ubuntu repo.
More than happy to provide logs.