.htaccess issues

Max nginxyz at mail.ru
Mon Feb 13 21:13:21 UTC 2012

13 февраля 2012, 21:58 от António P. P. Almeida <appa at perusio.net>:
> On 12 Fev 2012 15h32 WET, guilherme.e at gmail.com wrote:
>
> You can use the auth_request module for that then.
>
> http://mdounin.ru/hg/ngx_http_auth_request_module
>
> I've replicated the mercurial repo on github:
>
> https://github.com/perusio/nginx-auth-request-module
>
> It involves setting up a location that proxy_pass(es) to the Apache
> upstream and returns 403 if not allowed to access.

Maxim's auth_request module is great, but AFAIK, it doesn't
support caching, which makes it unsuited to the OP's
situation because the OP wants to cache large files from
the backend server(s).

The access_by_lua solution I proposed, on the other hand,
does make it possible to cache the content, and if one should
want, even the IP-based authorization information in a
separate cache zone.

Max