nginx default server not used

rj nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Feb 20 06:41:46 UTC 2012

Nginx User Wrote:
> On 20 February 2012 00:17, rj
> <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> > Hi Maxim,
> >
> > thank's for the quick reply. The config seems to
> be ok. The missing } is
> > most likely a copy/paste error when combining
> the different config files
> > for pastebin.
> >
> > I tried nginx -t already and it succeeds, so I
> assume the config is at
> > least syntactical correct.
> >
> > nginx: the configuration file
> /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
> > nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
> test is successful
> >
> > I also restarted and reloaded the config several
> times via
> > /etc/init.d/nginx {restart, reload, stop and
> start} without any
> > success.
> > Already checked the error log, unfortunately it
> is empty.
> > The server is running and working otherwise as
> expected. It serves
> > static and dynamic (php/ruby) content and also
> correctly passes requests
> > to a java tomcat server without any problems. I
> have no clue what could
> > trigger this odd behavior.
> > It seems all server configurations work
> correctly except for the default
> > config.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > rj
>
> As Maxim said, if you previously had a location
> and then removed it
> but you are still seeing vestiges of this, then it
> means one of the
> following:
>
> 1. You are still running the previous instance of
> Nginx.
> 2. You are still loading a conf file with the
> previous items in it.
>
> There is no other option.
>
> Since you say you have reloaded (assuming you
> don't have two instances
> of nginx going), then it has to be #2.
>
> So you have to look again at your setup carefully.
> Somewhere in there,
> you are loading something different from what you
> have been editing.

Thanks, this was indeed the problem. I assumed that /etc/init.d/nginx
{reload, restart, stop, start} worked, as I didn't get any error message
saying otherwise. I also couldn't find anything in nginx or the syslogs
regarding nginx, so didn't thought this might be the problem. After
reading your suggestion I had a look at the running processes after
"shutting down" nginx, and it was still running. So it seems this was
the problem, although I don't know why.

I couldn't find anything in the logs why nginx was unable to start/stop
or reload the config. The only difference after killing and restarting
nginx, that I could find, was that passenger now is spawned as a
separate process and not as a child process of nginx. So maybe that was
the reason, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks for the hint in the right direction. I'm probably to used to
apaches warnings when it cannot restart. Next time I'll check this
first.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,222679,222701#msg-222701