Stub_status explenation needed

piotr.pawlowski nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Feb 21 09:28:02 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I am not quite sure how to understand stub_status module output. I have
three servers, on which I have this module turned on.
Maybe servers infrastructure is the key here, so let me explain it:
* ProxyServer - server with NginX, where all requests are coming and
proxied to other two servers
* WebServer - server with NginX and PHP, where 90% of our application is
running
* DbServer - server with databases but also with NginX and PHP for rest
of the application

Now, for WebServer and DbServer, stub status looks as follows:

DbServer:
Active connections: 1
server accepts handled requests
 1749046 1749046 1749046
Reading: 0 Writing: 1 Waiting: 0

WebServer:
Active connections: 4
server accepts handled requests
 142484042 142484042 142484042
Reading: 0 Writing: 4 Waiting: 0

As you can see, all values (accepts, handled, requests) are the same,
which, in my opinion, is good (am I right?).

Now below is output from ProxyServer:
Active connections: 1225
server accepts handled requests
 199105 199105 573654
Reading: 3 Writing: 5 Waiting: 1217

First thing, which worries me, is the fact, that values for 'accepted'
and 'handled' are a lot of different that value of 'requests'. Does it
mean, that less than 40% of requests are not handled by NginX?
Second thing is, that amount of 'Active connections' and 'Waiting' is
very high...
Should I be worried about those values? Or everything is ok and my
attitude to my server is hypersensitive?

Thank you in advance for any tip or a help in understanding this issue.

Regards
Piotr Pawlowski

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,222771,222771#msg-222771