error_page directive, how does context affect error handling behavior?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Feb 28 09:02:45 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 07:53:23AM +0400, Max wrote:

>  27 февраля 2012, 20:07 от Grégory Pakosz : > > > > > > Thank you for your answer. May I suggest that explanation enters the wiki > > > in the error_page directive section? > > > > http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#error_page > > > > : These directives are inherited from the previous level if and > > : only if there are no error_page directives on the current level. > > > > Fair enough! > > I'll refer to the doc more often then :) > > Thank you for the help You're welcome. Maxim is right, this is documented, but the implicit reset is not mentioned, so I've updated the wiki to make that clear: http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#error_page Max

There is no "implicit reset", it's just a result of no
inheritance.  I don't think that such a detailed explanation of
how inheritance work is a good idea in context of error_page
directive documentation.

If you think this often causes serious misunderstanding, you may
want to place the detail description somewhere at
http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls, metioning various array-type
directives which follow the same logic.

Maxim Dounin

p.s. You may want to avoid posting html to the list, especially
keeping in mind that text parts of your html messages are hardly
readable due to no line breaks.