BitTorrent tracker announce flooding NGinx logs

Thorben Thuermer thuermer at
Tue Feb 28 09:10:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 03:38:39 -0500 "B.R." <reallfqq-nginx at> wrote:
> I recently installed Transmission 2.03.
> Since then I get my NGinx error log flooded with messages like "[error]
> 21475#0: *6383 open() "/var/web/" failed
> (2: No such file or directory), client:, server: ~mydomain\.com$,
> request: "GET /announce?info_hash="
> It seems there is a misconfiguration somewhere. Could you help me on that
> point?

the misconfiguration is here:
$ host has address

it's typical for disabled trackers to get pointed to localhost
(instead of pulled from dns completely).
nothing you can do about that really, at best some workaround to stop those
requests from ending up in your log.
(it's generally a good idea to set up a dummy default virtualhost that is not
 used in production just so all the spam ends up in it's log.)

- T.