Problem with instant streaming request body to backend

Andrew Alexeev andrew at nginx.com
Thu Jan 5 11:53:29 UTC 2012

Tomek,

On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Tomasz Roda wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am developer in new startup and Nginx is important part of whole
> system. Generally it is great load balancer, has many interesting
> modules and configuration possibilities but I have one serious problem
> which I cannot solve.
>
> Problem is that Nginx for each request collects the whole body of
> request and only after that sends request next to backend. I know that
> I can theoretically use upload module to omit that issue but we have
> got own part of code to handle uploads in way that we need (which must
> not be supported by module in load balancer). That issue is big
> problem for us because in current load balancer implementation data
> from client is unnecessarily "cached" on load balancer (load
> balancer's hard drive in fact) and then send to backend instead of
> instant streaming from client by load balancer to backend. Main
> problem is lower performance (requirement of fast storage on load
> balancer servers) and additional requests latency, it is really
> noticeable especially for big files.
>
> My question is: is any chance for adding feature of instant data
> streaming of request body to backend? If chance is real can we expect
> feature implementation soon? I think that it is useful functionallity
> and can be used by many Nginx users.

By instant data streaming do you mean generic L4/TCP load balancing or still some form of a L7/HTTP load balancing with additional controls for headers and request/response, and with efficient handling of concurrent connections?

What are the other roles of your nginx setup aside from load balancing to the backends?