Reading from a named pipe / fifo (final version)

Brian Akins brian at
Sun Jan 22 20:50:27 UTC 2012

On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Max wrote:

> It will block, but not indefinitely, only for as long as I want it to block.
> That's why I used alarm to give open() 5 seconds to succeed

5 seconds can be an eternity in internet time.

> Exactly, there are strict MAC (Mandatory Access Control) restrictions
> in place.

You can use MAC with a fastcgi script.

> Even if there weren't, I'd still prefer the direct approach, it's
> much simpler and cleaner, IMHO.

I guess we'll just have to disagree about that. Doing things to make nginx block for seconds at a time on purpose seems much worse than managing a simple fastcgi script. IMNSHO.