Nginx as Load Balancer Connection Issues

gtuhl nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Jan 24 18:23:38 UTC 2012

Andrey Korolyov Wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM, ggrensteiner
> <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> > net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
> >
> > is what your looking for
> >
> > Posted at Nginx Forum:
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,220894,221583#ms
> g-221583

> This may cause trouble if multiple clients trying
> to reach the server
> over same NAT, so be careful. I have a negative
> experience even on ~
> 10 http reqs/min from NAT machine.

This is what I had read everywhere as well, so I've been hesitant to try
it.  We definitely have a lot of users that would be coming at our
servers from the same buliding/NAT.

Has anyone tried using "net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1" in a larger
connection count environment before?

I have it enabled now, but it did not seem to have any impact on the
number of TIME_WAIT connections.  Does it wait until it actually needs
to reuse one (due to port exhaustion) before doing so?  Or should it be
keeping the number lower?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,220894,221587#msg-221587