Module API and srv structure initialization.

evilsocket nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Jan 25 08:49:40 UTC 2012

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum (already introduced myself ^^).

I'm writing a nginx handler module and i need to load a file in a server
directive inside the config, let's assume it's something like:

server {
 mymodule-ruleset /etc/nginx/mymodule-rules.json;

So i have a server structure like:

typedef struct {
 ngx_str_t ruleset;
ngx_mymodule_srv_conf_t;

I initialize the ruleset attribute inside the merge_srv_conf handler:

ngx_conf_merge_str_value( conf->ruleset_path, prev->ruleset_path,
DEFAULT_RULESET_PATH );

( Where DEFAULT_RULESET_PATH is a constant #defined my me ).

The problem is, i have to load this file only once for server directive,
but the user could ignore the mymodule-ruleset using its default value,
so i can't use an handler to load it (it could be never called).

Where's the best place to load this file? In the postconfiguration
handler ? If so, how do i retrieve the srv_conf_t inside the
postconfiguration handler ?

Thanks for your time, i'm new to nginx developing and i'm finding some
trouble to understand its structure.

PS: I've already read the guides specified in the wiki, but there's
nothing so specific.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,221610,221610#msg-221610