Whitelisting IP addresses for ratelimiting

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 12:53:41 UTC 2012

I have my configuration set up based on the information at
as follows:

http {
   geo $unlimited {
     default 1; 0;
   limit_req_zone  $binary_remote_addr  zone=unlimited:10m   rate=10r/m;
   server {
     location / {
       limit_req zone=unlimited burst=5;

I believe this should mean that requests from IP address
are not subject to the rate limiting, but it isn't working (they do get
blocked by the rate limiting) and I can't see why.

Is my configuration obviously wrong somewhere?

And if not, is there any way I can easily debug why the rate-limiting is
being applied?