Using rate limitation for files smaller than the defined limit.

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jul 31 16:21:06 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:18:18AM -0400, leki75 wrote:

[...]

> Can we avoid network segmentation by setting the following configuration
> directives?
>     tcp_nodelay  off;
>     tcp_nopush  on;

No.

> Do you have any other suggestions how to rate limit objects, which size
> is smaller than specified in limit_rate, other way?

You may try to delay last byte of a response (or something like
this, ideally - just a partially filled last packet) instead.

Alternatively, you may introduce some granularity for limits and
always allow a chunk of data (something like one packet at least)
if at least one byte is allowed.  This should mitigate problems
introduced by millisecond resolution.