proxy_next_upstream, only "connect" timeout?, try 2

Gábor Farkas gabor.farkas at
Fri Jun 15 08:07:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at> wrote:
> Hello!
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:36:39AM +0200, Gábor Farkas wrote:
>> regarding my original email:
>> i assume the silence means there is no such way.
>> would it be hard to implement it? i can try it, but i'd need to know
>> if it's at least possible or not,
>> if there are the necessary 'hooks' in place and such...
> We probably need something more generic, i.e. some distinction
> between idempotent and non-idempotent cases in
> proxy_next_upstream.  This should allow to retry GET/HEAD at any
> point, while keeping POSTs safe.

i agree, but i would still prefer to be able to specify the
on-connect-timeout-only too,
there are some cases where i do not want to repeat even a GET request,
and generally it is a safer bet for me to not-repeat anything that
already 'reached'
the upstream.

you see, my specific problem is that i have multiple upstreams, and i want nginx
to go to the next upstream when an upstream's socket-backlog is full.
and currently
i am unable to do this...