Conversion of PHP single machine setup to nginx/php residing on different boxes

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at
Sun Jun 24 10:34:07 UTC 2012

Hello Again,

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your pointers, which nudged me in the right direction.
> After also finding
> specified-error/ I came up with the following, which is working (a
> "info.php" script at the documentroot containing a call to "phpinfo()" is
> rendered properly and the output has "Server API:	CGI/FastCGI"):
>> server {
>> listen   443;
>> server_name XXX;
>> client_max_body_size 40M;
>> # SSL is using CACert credentials
>> ssl  on;
>> ssl_certificate  /etc/ssl/private/;
>> ssl_certificate_key
> /etc/ssl/private/cacert.XXX.org_privatkey.pem;
>> ssl_session_timeout  5m;
>> ssl_protocols  SSLv3 TLSv1;
>> ssl_ciphers  ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:!LOW:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:
> +SSLv3:+EXP;
>> ssl_prefer_server_ciphers   on;
>> # Proxy the "feng-container" lxc container
>> root    /var/www/;
>> location / {
>> proxy_pass;
>> index           index.php index.html index.htm;
>> }
>> location ~ \.php$ {
>> fastcgi_pass;
>> fastcgi_index  index.php;
>> fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
> $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
>> include         fastcgi_params;
>> }
>> }

As I wrote, this works fine for a plain "index.php" containing "phpinfo()".
I now want to use the setup to run fengoffice along the lines of
ubuntu-server-10.10 . So I change the above setup to point at root
"/var/www/" which is where fenoffice's
index.php resides on THis however does not work and the browser
pointed at the urls reports
>Unable to connect
>Iceweasel can't establish a connection to the server at

I seem to be missing rewriting somewhere, but no prowling the internet has
given me an answer that will work. Can someone nudge me into the right
direction (again) how to fix this?

Thanks for any pointers, Joh