A Challenging Config

SplitIce mat999 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:30:13 UTC 2012

Ok, Ive been working on a project for a long time. It involves automated
config file building for the nginx web server :)
Now im adding caching. The user of the software can using the interface
select regex's to apply caching logic to.

Ive devided the cache types into 3 types:
1. CACHE: Cache if possible
2. FORCE-CACHE: Cache always, ignore Cache-Control headers

all other traffic is caught by the default "/" location. Execution order
for these statements is from 1->3 (e.g 3 should override 1).

I have a couple questions:

1) How can I ignore the effect of cache control on caching?

2) What is the most efficient order to acheive this caching override
system, my origional idea was to just use location blocks like

location ~ to_cache {
     proxy_cache ....;
     proxy_pass ....;

location ~ not_to_cache {
     proxy_cache off;
     proxy_pass ....;

location / {
    proxy_pass ....;

is this right? Im not really sure I understand the wiki text on matching

Thanks in advance,