client keep alive support under HTTP/1.0

dbanks nginx-forum at
Fri Mar 2 22:04:00 UTC 2012

We're working on a server-to-server integration effort, using nginx as
our front end.  The guys on the other side are using ab (ApacheBench) to
perform initial testing.  ApacheBench includes a switch to turn on
keepalive request support, but it only sends HTTP/1.0 requests.

Our research on keepalives using HTTP/1.0 is inconclusive.  Some
resources (
state that it is loosely supported, while other sources don't make that

Question:  Is it possible to enable support for keep-alive connections
using HTTP/1.0?

If it matters, gzip is disabled in our config (we were hoping that it
would result in the content-length header being set).