Multiple Upstream Servers Result in Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS)

mevans336 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Mar 6 21:08:44 UTC 2012

I have an Nginx reverse-proxy sitting in front of two JBoss servers. If
I attempt to add the second JBoss server to the upstream directive, I
receive an Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS) from Chrome, IE just
displays an "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" error. If I
comment the second upstream server out a kill -HUP the master process,
everything works properly.

I am attempting to use Nginx to rewrite all HTTP requests to HTTPS and
upon first contact with our domain, the JBoss application redirects you
to https://my.domain.com/home.

Here is my default config file:

upstream jboss_dev_servers {
server 10.0.3.15:8080;
server 10.0.3.16:8080;
}

server {
        listen          10.0.3.28:80;
        server_name     my.domain.com;
        location / {
                proxy_set_header Host $host;
                proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
                proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header;
                rewrite ^ https://$server_name$request_uri? permanent;
                proxy_pass http://jboss_dev_servers;

server {
        listen 10.0.3.28:443 default ssl;
        ssl on;
        ssl_certificate         /srv/ssl/combined.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key     /srv/ssl/combined.key;
        ssl_protocols           SSLv3 TLSv1;

        server_name my.domain.com;

        location / {
                proxy_set_header Host $host;
                proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
                proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header;
                proxy_pass http://jboss_dev_servers;

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it bouncing the requests back
and forth between the two upstream servers somehow?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223535,223535#msg-223535